No. 29 Holiday Inn Chevrolet
Event Preview Fact Sheet
Event/Date: CARFAX 250 – August 16, 2008
Venue: Michigan International Speedway – Brooklyn, Mich.
Scott Wimmer’s NASCAR Nationwide Series Performance History
at Michigan International Speedway
· This Week’s Holiday Inn Chevrolet at Michigan International Speedway … Scott Wimmer will pilot Chassis No. 049 from the Richard Childress Racing NASCAR Nationwide Series stable. Built new in 2006, Jeff Burton drove this chassis at Dover that June to notch Holiday Inn’s first series win. Last season, Scott Wimmer drove this No. 29 Chevrolet to an 11th-place finish at New Hampshire. After receiving all the 2008 updates and being outfitted with the green and blue paint scheme showcasing the Holiday Inn Family of Brands -- Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express -- Wimmer steered this Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS to a second-place finish at Kentucky in June and Burton drove this chassis to an eighth-place finish at Chicago last month.
· Defending a Championship … Based on Burton’s 14th-place finish last weekend at Watkins Glen, RCR’s No. 29 team advanced one position, to fourth, in the NNS owners’ championship point standings, 449 markers behind the leader and just 39 points out of third.
· Not Bad for Nine Less … Despite competing in just 15 of 24 NASCAR Nationwide Series events this season, Wimmer sits 18th in the drivers’ points. Nine of his 13 races have resulted in top-10 finishes, including one victory (Nashville) and three top-five finishes. He has also led 51 laps this season. This weekend’s race is the 16th of 23 Wimmer is scheduled to run the No. 29 Holiday Inn Chevy.
· Personal Bests … Five of Wimmer’s 14 starts this season, at tracks where he has previously raced, have resulted in personal-best track finishes. In his first start at Circuit Gilles Villeneuve in Montreal, the Wausau, Wis., native finished 11th.
· Wimmer in the Loop …
o Great Lakes State Stats … The 2007 NNS Owners’ Championship driver has struggled in the Irish Hills. In four Nationwide Series starts at MIS, Wimmer posted one top-10 finish. The 32-year-old driver has a 31.8 starting average and a 24.5 finishing average.
o Law of Averages … According to NASCAR’s Loop Data Statistics, the 32-year-old driver has an Average Running Position of 11.5 in 15 starts this season. The ARP is derived from taking the sum of a driver’s position on each lap and dividing it by the number of laps run in each race.
o Running Up Front … Meanwhile, the six-time NNS winner has spent 81.6 percent of laps contested (2,117 of 2,594) running in the top 15.
o Driver Rating … Wimmer also enjoys a Driver Rating of 95.0. The Driver Rating is a formula that combines the following categories: wins, top-15 finishes, average running position while on the lead lap, average speed under green, fastest lap, most laps led and lead-lap finishes. The maximum points a driver can earn in each race is 150 points. The Driver Rating number is used pre-race as a prediction tool and post-race as a performance evaluator.
· RCR Nationwide Notes at Michigan … RCR has won one Nationwide Series race at MIS –with Kevin Harvick in 2003. In 19 NNS starts in Michigan, RCR has earned five top-five and 10 top-10 finishes. RCR-prepared entries have also led 96 laps at the track just southwest of the Motor City.
· Season Review … Over the season’s first 24 Nationwide Series races, the duo of Wimmer and Burton have posted one win, five top-five and 14 top-10 finishes. The Holiday Inn drivers have logged an 11.33 starting average to go along with an 11.13 finishing average. They have completed 4,035 of the 4,179 laps contested this season (96.6 percent) and led a total of 115 laps.
· Environmentally Friendly … The Nationwide Series race will be completely carbon-neutral through a donation to The Conservation Fund to offset the carbon dioxide that results from the race, including the energy use at the venue, the gasoline used by the race cars during the race, employee and fan travel, hotel stays, and camping generators. The donation will pay for 4,300 trees – 14-acres! – to be planted in a National Wildlife Refuge in Louisiana.
· Design the Holiday Inn Racing Chevy … The Holiday Inn Family of Brands -- Holiday Inn and Holiday Inn Express -- will rev up race fans' creativity with the launch of its third annual online "Design a Car" contest. Through August 22, 2008, consumers can log on to http://www.holidayinn.com/designacar to design a new paint scheme for RCR’s No. 29 Holiday Inn Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS and submit their design for judging. Wimmer and Burton will select the top-three designs and then invite the fans to select the winning paint scheme. The winning design will be featured on Wimmer's car at a NASCAR Nationwide Series race in November. The winner of this year's "Design a Car" contest will also receive a trip for two to the race with V.I.P. treatment that includes a meeting with Wimmer.
· The Need for Speed … The CARFAX 250 will take the green flag Saturday, Aug.16 and will be televised live on ESPN2 beginning at 3 p.m. Eastern Daylight Time. The race will also broadcast live on the Motor Racing Network and Sirius Satellite Radio. Qualifying for the 25th of 35 races on the 2008 Nationwide Series calendar will air live on SPEED the same day beginning at 10:30 a.m. EDT.
SCOTT WIMMER QUOTES:
What do you think of the style of racing that Michigan produces?
“I think Michigan produces great racing because the track has so many grooves and hasn’t been repaved in a while. You can use the top side if your car is handling one way or you can use the bottom if it’s handling a different way. You can adjust your line to the way your car is handling. I think that’s what makes great racing and we’ve seen really great finishes because of that. I has a lot of speed but it still races like a short track.”
It’s been two years since you raced Michigan. Does that produce any challenges?
“I’ve been fortunate that I have been to Michigan in both the Cup and Nationwide Series cars but Michigan’s winters can really change the track. I’m looking forward to getting back there. I’ve had some good runs in the past and some not so great runs. I’m going there with an RCR car and a great team with Holiday Inn Racing so I’m looking to have a good run. It’s going to take a few runs to get used to the track and figure out what it takes to go fast there.”
NO. 29 HOLIDAY INN CHEVY 2008 NASCAR NATIONWIDE SERIES RACE RESULTS
Send mail to
questions or comments about this web site.